Decoupage crafts are a very specific form of crafting that dates back centuries! In its broadest meaning, the art of decoupage is essentially the art of decorating an object with cut outs. We have been wanting to touch on this topic as we had been receiving enquiries on how to create your own custom design decoupage paper.
Two very important factors to keep in mind when making your own decoupage paper are,
- getting the right kind of paper for your project and
- making sure that the ink does not fade or smudge overtime
What kind of paper can be used for Decoupage
Pretty much any kind of paper can be used for decoupage ranging from newspaper, wrapping paper, magazine paper, rice paper, photo paper or any flexible crafting paper. If your choice of paper is thick it will be difficult to mould it to the object you are looking to decoupage.
We would recommend using papers that can absorb a little water as the decoupage glue is water based. Keeping this point in mind rice paper becomes the most suitable choice. Due to its ability to hold water you can print on it with laser jet as well as inkjet printer. It is somewhat challenging to print on rice paper and you need to be technical but as with all of us we find out what works best for us through trial and error.
How to print your own decoupage design on rice paper
Below we have listed a few steps that you can follow to print on your own decoupage design on rice paper.
- Stick the rice paper with temporary adhesive (that comes off) or a washi tape to copy paper or preferably slightly thicker paper with the top side of rice paper up for printing.
- Print your design,
- After printing spray with a coat of good picture varnish or fixative spray to prevent ink bleeding.
- Lastly, after a while when varnish is dry detach the rice paper from copy paper.
Have fun crafting and don’t forget to share or designs on our Instagram page @homesnliving
Also, Check out the decoupage supplies below available at our webstore.